On Thursday 13 September 2007, shelley ryan wrote:
> Yes the company deals with porn. But, I asked why would someone pay
> when there are plenty of free sites anyways.
I don't know about free sites. I know about porn as an Internet
industry because my business counts on the Internet and, as I said,
porn leads Internet development. I don't know much about free sites,
but I know there are tons of sites charging people monthly fees for
membership. Free sites, at least in the fields I know about, make
money for advertising. I'm not sure a free porn site would be able to
make enough on advertising to pay for their bandwidth. I don't know
the demographics (other than men of all ages) in terms of what they can
sell. In other words, do men browsing porn sites even look at ads? Do
they want ads for porn sites they pay money for? Do they buy sex toys?
Or do they just drool over the nekkid laddies?
From what I've seen of the Internet, I seriously doubt there are
many "good" free porn sites. I know someone who runs a used book
store. New porn magazines can go for $30 or more, but once they come
in for resale, they go for almost nothing. That means a lot of people
are willing to pay $30 a month for ONE magazine. I'm sure porn sites
that charge money can charge that or more, per month, per person. With
that kind of income, why waste time managing a free site?
I have to emphasize here that this is not my field. I'm not saying that
to "prove" I'm innocent or something like that. I'm pointing out this
is just a quick analysis from an Internet person and not from a porn
expert. Still, it seems to me a pay site would make much more and a
free site would not make nearly as much, so there would be many fewer
of them.
> The package he wants to
> get cost 60k!
Caveat Emptor! If he's spending that much, how much do they say he'll
make in the first day, since they have the guarantee? I think we've
found where that particular company makes their money from!
> They have ones that cost over 100k. I have known a
> few people who did sites like that, but they told me they had to
> spend 60 to 80 hours per week trying to promote it.
Ah, so turnkey does not involve promotion. I'm not sure how porn sites
are promoted, unless through other porn sites. Does this person really
want to get involved in all this? Or, conversely, is it possible this
person is just plain horny and thinks getting into this will be a good
way to have sex with lots of hot partners?
> If you do a
> google search on adult turnkey sites, there are thousands of
> companies. To me, it seems like it would be very difficult to get
> you site listed to generate traffic.
If there are that many companies selling them, then there would be a LOT
of competition, so someone would have to work hard to distinguish
themselves from other people.
And here's the big point: If a business is trying to make a profit,
would they sell him this chance if he can easily make more than the
$60,000 they want? A business is there to make money, so they're going
to leverage their resources as best they can. If the turnkey site will
easily make, say, $70,000 a year, will they sell it for $60,000 to
someone else instead of keeping the extra for themselves if it's that
easy to run? They're selling the sites because that's how they can
make the most off of what they have. Porn business is not a field
where people go if they want to help others make money.
Hal
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigita
September 2007, shelley ryan wrote:
> > I know this has nothing to do with mlm, but I was wonder if this
> > was a scam. I have a friend of mine who's getting ready to throw
> > down a ton of money on some sort of adult turnkey website. He said
> > that they guarantee that you make money with in 24 months or you
> > can get your money back. What exactly is a turnkey? I told him
> > theres probably a million turnkey things and you will more than
> > likely have to spend hours and hours trying to promote it. The site
> > he showed me said that they teach you how to promote it. Is this
> > just going to be a big waste of time for him? Shelley
>
> Turnkey means all you do is "turn the key." In other words everything
> else is all set up and all you do is turn it on and it's there and
> working.
>
> You say adult, so I take it you mean porn. Porn is the driving force
> of Internet development, believe it or now. When most sites were
> simple and had text and a few pictures, porn sites had lots of
> pictures and needed a lot of bandwidth, then when other sites had
> more graphics, porn sites were starting to use movies, which use even
> more bandwidth. In other words, porn on the Internet is a BIG DEAL.
> It's also a HUGE money maker. I hear about a lot of people having
> their own porn sites, but I'm not clear if that's because they're
> doing a setup like your friend or because they've gotten their own
> camera and are shooting themselves.
>
> So there is a huge potential for "adult" sites in terms of money, but
> they need a large hosting space because it's all visual, so those
> files take more space than text files and it takes a LOT of
> bandwidth. (For those that don't know, bandwidth is a reference to
> the amount of data going over the line at a time.) That kind of high
> bandwidth is not cheap. I have a few sites of my own and if you took
> the amount of bandwidth I'm allowed for a month on ALL my sites, that
> would not be enough for a porn site for a day. On top of that, even
> though I go through a good web hosting company, there's a good chance
> that if I suddenly changed my sites to porn and had ads up so people
> knew about them, the company could not handle the onslaught of
> visitors without crashing.
>
> So there's potential, but there's also high costs as well. Then
> there's the community standards issue. I read, in the local new rags,
> about some people nearby, in Virginia, doing a porn site and getting
> arrested several times by local authorities. There's also issues
> because people in Biblebelt, Alabama feel they can treat a web site
> as local and press charges against someone running a porn site in
> Faraway, California. While such crusaders would likely go after
> larger porn sites, it's possible they could go after the small guys
> first, since the small sites don't have much money for defense and
> they could build up a series of court victories and precedents before
> going after the big guys.
>
> Then there's the point that concerns me: the sites take a lot of
> bandwidth and storage space. That costs money. What possible reason
> would a company have for providing all that for someone else and
> letting them make money on it? You say it's turnkey, so he wouldn't
> be doing any of the work. That means others are doing the
> advertising, managing the site, and working on all the arrangements
> for everything else.
>
> This applies to porn, but to any type of site. If I'm wrong
> that "adult" does not mean porn, this part is still quite valid: Why
> would someone do all that and not want 100% of the profit? That makes
> no sense. If the material is on a hosting site and it's available and
> there's a notable profit potential, then why are the people behind
> this doing the work and letting others make money? Unless, of course,
> they're making more money from what people like him pay than from
> what the site can make.
>
> And one last point: If they're dealing in porn, does it really feel
> like they're the kind of person you'd want to do business with?
>
> Hal
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
__,_._,___
No comments:
Post a Comment